The above photo is the local mill in Christchurch, mentioned in the DomesdayBook of 1086 and was valued at 30 shillings a year. Some stonework is from the middle ages, some brickwork from the 18th century. It was used until 1908.
The Domesday Book was a census of England carried out at the direction of King William the Conqueror. It served as the first great survey of England, and its purpose was to serve as an assessment for taxation purposes for the king. It was not until 1873 that there was such an extensive survey of English property ownership.
The Miraculous Beam – Christchurch
“The story is that a beam was found to have been cut too short when it was hoisted into place. This would have been embarrassing for the carpenters since the wood was expensive and would be difficult to replace. There was however a mysterious carpenter who had worked and ate alone. The day following the discovery, when the carpenters returned they found the beam was in place and it now fitted. The unknown carpenter was never seen again, and the story came to be that it was Jesus Christ who had intervened. The church became Christ’s Church of Twynham in commemoration of the event. In time the town became Twynham Christchurch and eventually shortened to Christchurch. The beam can be seen today and is located in the Priory’s Ambulatory.”
— from site of Geoff Knowles